Comparison of Reinforced Concrete to Concrete Hollow Block
Comparing Durability of Reinforced Concrete with Concrete Hollow Block Construction
- At Lancaster New City, Pro-Friends uses the reinforced concrete panel pre-cast technology. Our Reinforced concrete is a modern technology used in today’s infrastructures such as high rise buildings and the latest house projects.
- The technology has been validated by professionals and is proven to survive challenging weather conditions. With our continuous research and development on our panel technology, we have been improving the quality of our homes as can be seen in the picture.
Definition of Terms
Reinforced Concrete Panels – also known as “Buhos” is made of concrete, pre-cast wall panels with pre-designed sections and surface used for building walls.
Concrete Hollow Block – also known as CHB is a building block, typically made of cement and aggregate usually sand, used for walling.
Compressive Strength – it is the strength of material resisting compressive or axial loads
Reinforced concrete panel is made of concrete, pre-cast wall panels with pre-designed sections and surface and is recommended as an alternative material for concrete hollow blocks.
It can be used for exterior or interior walls, retaining walls, fences, parapet walls, machine rooms and wet areas like the swimming pool, creek and open drainage.
The compressive strength of a reinforced concrete is 2,000 to 2,500 psi compared to only 420 psi to 700 psi of a concrete hollow block.
Since the compressive strength of reinforced concrete is greater than that of concrete hollow block, therefore a reinforced concrete panel is stronger and more resilient than a concrete hollow block.
Reinforced concrete technology is significantly less dependent on manual interventions, resulting in less errors and wastage.
More importantly, homes constructed with this technology are sure to withstand typhoons, earthquakes, and other natural calamities.
CONCRETE HOLLOW BLOCK
- Mortar connection
- A core allows steel reinforcing to be inserted
- Need plastering
- Curing time takes place
- Lightweight material
- Improves insulation
- Prone to cracking
REINFORCED CONCRETE PANEL
- Solid poured construction joint
- Time efficient
- Greater resistance to shear
- Smooth finish, easy and ready to paint
- No curing time
- Stability wise
- Less manpower
- Solid finished
The Mapua Researchers are highly recommending the use of reinforced concrete panels in construction of wall such as exterior and interior walls, retaining wall, shear wall, fences, parapet walls and machine rooms.
The use of reinforced concrete wall will save money, time and provide stronger and more stable wall than the use of concrete hollow block.